A onetime vicar of Belford, the Rev Charles Robertson was the main instigator for the formation of the Floral and Horticultural Society. The first ever show was held in the ground of Belford Hall on 12th September 1884. The Patrons were the squire, Mr George D Atkinson- Clark of Belford Hall and Mr J.T. Leather of Middleton Hall.
Four years later the event had moved to the National School, although the gardens of the Hall were still open to ticket holders. Competitors from all of the surrounding townships were now allowed to enter. The industrial section had greatly widened its scope and now included handicraft such as quilt making, hearthrugs, knitting, sewing, bread making and handwriting section for the children. The proceedings now very much enlivened by music from the band of 3rd Battalion "The Fusiliers" who were based in Alnwick. The show continued to flourish in 1893 there were 693 exhibits.
Over the following years there have been a few setbacks- and the suspension during the years of the two World Wars- but nevertheless the "Show Must Go On"
Today, thanks t a dedicated team of helpers, and the support of competition from the village and beyond, Belford Show still flourishes. It is the longest standing event in our village.
Detail of how to enter the diffrent classes can be found on www.belfordshow2017.wordpress.com or forms are held in the Community Shop on the High Street.